San Diego Airport Attains Highest Score by Airport Carbon Accreditation Program
San Diego International Airport (SAN) has actually accomplished the greatest level of accreditation under the Airports Council International’s Airport Carbon Accreditation (ACA) program– Level 4+ ‘Shift.’
The airport accomplished this accreditation through a series of programs that have actually increased using carbon-free electrical energy and all-electric cars, helped with carbon-emission decreases by airline company and rideshare partners, and made it possible for carbon-offset purchases by our travelers, to name a few efforts.
Airport Carbon Accreditation is the only institutionally backed, international carbon management accreditation program for airports. It supplies a typical structure for active carbon management with quantifiable goalposts and after that individually examines and acknowledges the efforts of airports to handle and minimize carbon emissions through 6 levels of accreditation. Airport Carbon Accreditation is likewise the only international, airport-specific carbon requirement that counts on globally acknowledged approaches.
SAN is among just 3 North American airports to accomplish Level 4+ ‘Shift’ accreditation and the only airport in California to reach the turning point. To accomplish Level 4+, SAN has actually shown that it continues to minimize carbon emissions under its direct control (i.e. emissions from constructing energy usage and fleet cars), is on a trajectory to satisfy global Net Absolutely no emission targets through application of its carbon management strategy, has actually offset its staying direct carbon emissions, and has actually efficiently partnered with occupants accountable for Scope 3 emissions at the airport.
” Given that attaining Level 3+ ‘Carbon Neutrality’ in 2018, our group has actually been dealing with our airline company partners, ground transport companies, and travelers to minimize their emissions which is a crucial part of attaining Level 4+ accreditation,” stated Kimberly Becker, San Diego County Regional Airport Authority President and CEO. “It’s through cooperation that this objective was fulfilled and I want to acknowledge the effort of the Airport Authority group and the air travel partners that are dedicating to brand-new methods of minimizing emissions.”
A few of the significant jobs and efforts SAN has actually effectively carried out that added to attaining Level 4+ consist of:
- The Airport Authority was among the very first companies to enlist in San Diego Neighborhood Power’s “Power100 Champions” program and now gets one hundred percent eco-friendly and carbon-free grid-delivered electrical energy to the whole SAN airport school.
- Transport Network Business (Uber, Lyft, and so on) carrying out ridesharing services at SAN should satisfy a typical fleetwide Greenhouse Gas Score comparable to the fuel effectiveness of a minimum of 52 miles per gallon by 2025.
- In 2015, the Airport Authority established and introduced The Excellent Tourist, a carbon balancing out program created to motivate sustainable travel by allowing people to balance out the ecological effect of their journey in a budget friendly, simple, and significant method.
- Through its stormwater capture and reuse system at Terminal 2 Parking Plaza, SAN has actually caught, dealt with, and recycled more than 4 million gallons given that the system was commissioned in 2018. In 2020, the Northside Stormwater Capture Tank was finished and is created to recycle roughly 16 million gallons each year with strategies to utilize the caught water to clean automobiles at the Rental Cars And Truck Center.
- The Airport Authority has actually established among the biggest zero-emission shuttle bus fleets in the area, with an overall of 33 all-electric buses. These cleaner and quieter buses transportation travelers in between terminals, workers to remote parking area, and transit riders in between the Old Town Transit Center and the airport.
- SAN has actually partnered with airports, airline companies, sustainable air travel fuel (SAF) manufacturers, and other stakeholders to promote for policies that would increase using low-carbon SAF to minimize greenhouse gas emissions in the air travel sector.
- The Airport Authority is dealing with our air travel partners to transform ground assistance devices (GSE) to utilize lower-carbon alternative fuels. Airline companies are anticipated to shift roughly 80 percent of their GSE to electrical and eco-friendly diesel by 2024.
To find out about other ecological objectives and efforts being done at the airport along with how the Airport Authority is leading efforts in ecological, social, and financial stewardship, please go to sustain.san.org which is the Airport Authority’s Sustainability Report.
Share this …